Friday, February 24, 2012

Craft - Shrinky Dink Chip Bag

Yep, those are potato chip bag - 
only smaller!
Girl Scout leader was the first to point out this particular recycle craft project to me.  Thanks Christina ;)  

*Step #1 .....  eat - enjoy - empty the bags (make sure to get all the chips out, if there is a little bit of oily residue that doesn't seem to effect it, but the chips need to be all gone)



* Step #2 ..... Lay them out flat on an older cookie sheet (I say older only because as the chip bag shrink some times it leaves a little bit of residue on the cookie sheet that is hard to get off without scrapping.  I tried lining the cookie sheet with foil and it did NOT work at all.)


* Step #3 ..... Place in a oven that is set to 200-225 and watch closely.  After only a couple of minutes it will start to bubble and then shrink.  If they are taken out early they will have a crinkle look to them or they can be left in till they flatten out more completely. 
(Kids love to watch them shrink it is the magical part) 


* Great uses for shrunk down chip bags - my daughter used a hole punch and strung it on a chain, she wears it to school allll the time.  There are several exchanges and swap sites that I am a part of and I have used larger "Grab Bags" and put a ribbon in the corner to make it into a bookmark.  If the really small candy wrappers would work better, I would love to make a charm bracelet for my kids.  I have also used them for scrap-booking but they could be used for any kind of craft embellishment.  
Lots of options, a fun and easy idea.

5 comments:

Tami said...

So cute!

I’d love it if you shared this with the Fun Family Crafts audience.
FFC is similar to Craftgawker but it only features kid friendly tutorials.

Looking forward to seeing what fun crafts you submit!
http://funfamilycrafts.com

Leah said...

Cool, thanks for posting! I have a question. I see that you can do it in the microwave but it may hurt it by its zap. is the oven a safer way of doing it?

Leah said...

Will it zap the oven?

Debbie said...

You know, I have never tried it in the microwave. I would be afraid that the silver lining would pop instead of shrink. I am personally not willing to try it, but if you find out that it works please let me know.

It only takes a few seconds in the over at such a low temp, as long as you take care (if kids are helping) it really is simple.

Chassity Metts said...

We used to make these all of the time in the microwave when I was a kid. It's definitely not safe to do because metal in a microwave can cause fire.
Who would've thunk it? I always waited until my Mom was at work and I'd make these little guys in the microwave. I'm excited to try it in my oven! Now, I'm sure my husband will be just as excited because he never had the thrill of microwaving them. Hehe!