Monday, May 3, 2010

Book - Apocalypse Happens

I read this book a few days ago and have been trying to figure out how to but it all into words. I can start by saying that this is actually book 3 of the Phoenix Chronicles. It has that same basic cast of characters as the others (Liz, Jimmy, Sawyer and Summer). There is still the continuing concept of Liz as the seer, Jimmy a DK (demon killer) and Sawyer and Summers interesting input in the mix. They are all still fighting the demons, vampires and all evil from starting Doomsday / Apocalypse / Armageddon. I can't even say what this book is about (without series spoilers).

I did have such a difficult time with this one partially because of how it ended. My biggest problem was with Liz - the main characters. I think the author is trying to make her come across as a strong determined leader of the federation, but for me she came across as naive, arrogant and stupid (and I am not the type to use that word lightly) which makes for a deadly combination. I am not yet sure if I am even willing to read the next one (Chaos Bites), I have been frustrated so much by this one. But .... I will consider it if only to see how the Sawyer story rolls out (he has become my favorite character - believe it or not.)

I say that I would recommend this book, only because it is such a different type of story, but it is an acquired taste, even for a prolific paranormal romance reader. ( )
4/29/10

No comments: