Saturday, May 9, 2009

Book - The Pagan Stone

The Pagan Stone (Sign of Seven) by Nora Roberts
Every 7 years for 7 days, ever since their 10th birthday (July 7), Caleb Hawkins, Fox O'Dell and Gage Turner have tried to take care of Hawkins Hollow when the evil came. Blaming themselves for unleashing it on the town. Since the arrival of Quinn Black (reporter of the strange and now engaged to Cal), Layla Darnell (strangely drawn to Hawkins Hollow and to Fox), and Cybil Kinski (supernatural researcher and Quinn's best friend), the group have been able to find more information on the demon and the guardians that are suppose to keep them. Finding the diaries and meeting (so to speak) some of their ancestors, then figuring out how the bloodstone could be put back together (it was left in 3 pieces after the boys at their 10th birthday made a blood brother ritual), now they just need to figure out how it all comes together, how the information they have will help them use the bloodstone as a weapon to destroy the demon they have come to know as Twisse.

****4 - Book 3 ..... No real surprise in this one, or in any of them really. Over the past 3 books, getting to know these characters has been so much fun, from the (as I call her) whirlwind of Quinn, the simple girly girl of Layla to this book that shows so much more of Cybil. She is sophisticated, tough, and smart and that is the combination that is needed to break through to Gage and his abused, 'I don't need anyone' attitude. Where Cal is the hometown hero type and Fox is the hippie (their words not mine) lawyer, as a group this six aren't just friend, they are family and the emotions are there. The paranormal / supernatural stuff is a lot more intense in this book (since the time is closer) but the romance, the adventure is always the best part. I found myself caring for Cybil so much more than I ever thought I would.

* Over view of the whole series: As always with Nora Roberts, the character creation is excellent with a wide variety of personalities so picking a favorite person and couple is difficult for me, there are aspects of each that I really enjoyed. That being said, I have to go with - Gage and Cybil, don't get me wrong, I absolutely adored Cal, Fox and Layla, (Quinn was a bit to hectic for me), but my favorite book pick would go to ... The Pagan Stone, for the romance of it. It hit more of an emotional cord with me than any of the other books. The faith, the hope and the vision of the past, the now and the what will be.

May 9, 2009

No comments: