Monday, May 11, 2009

Youth Fiction - Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw by Jeff Kinney
The day to day life of Greg Heffley, a middle school student, as he wrote it out in a diary format. Starting January talking about resolutions, Greg details some of the events of the first half of his year. Everything from the snack bin at home to school events. Greg thinks he is a pretty good kid, his brother (Rodrick) is annoying and his other brother (Manny) is spoiled. When things start to go terribly wrong and his Dad (Frank) decides to send him to Military school, Greg knows he is in need of some kind of strategy, but what can Greg do to change his Dads mind?

** 2 - I tried to like this one, I usually enjoy the juvenile fiction section at the library, but this one ….. I didn’t like much. I didn’t find it all that funny but maybe they would. For a juvenile book, just getting kids to read may be a good goal and if this one does that, great. As a juvenile book, I would hope that it could teach (even if they don’t realize it) ethical and / or moral lessons (coming from a moms point of view here), this one doesn’t. If anything, it just gives more ideas to young kids about how to treat one another poorly and possibly cause more problems. I was a little disappointed because of how much I had heard about these books. Not sure what age group it was written for, but it was an easy book to read and the pictures that were on almost every page made the diary entries more interesting and easy to follow. If this book was written for anyone, it would probably be for young boys, maybe 9-12. Again, if it gets kids to read (and I have heard that it does) I guess I shouldn’t be over critical, it just wasn’t something I enjoyed.

May 11, 2009

No comments: