Friday, March 6, 2009

Movie - Cloverfield 2007

A going away party for Rob is being video taped and documented by his friend Hudd. After having some fun at the party, an ‘earthquake’ ripped through Manhattan and an oil tanker capsized in the river. The chaos increases as we follow this group of friends try to survive the monster that has caused New York to be ripped apart.

(*** 3) Tough to review, I liked the story, possibly natural disaster (I like natural disaster movies), possibly alien invasion (I like alien movies). I had a hard time watching it, they (directors/producers - the creators of the TV shows Lost and Alias) used a hand held - home movie way of making this. The jerky motion made me want to turn away from watching (it was giving me a headache). The perspective of the camera left a lot of action to the viewers imagination. I really wanted to like this movie, I would have liked this movie a lot more if it had been filmed differently.

How I got to the rating of this difficult to review movie …..Enjoyed the story, the casting, and the acting enough that I should give it a 4 Star rating, but I had a large problem with the choice of production style, enough that I would have given it a 2 Star rating. I think we can compromise and go with the 3 Stars. I still have reservations and don’t know if it is enough to actually recommend this movie to anyone, I wouldn’t recommend to anyone I know but some may like the ‘reality’ feel that this kind of filming has.
Jan 16, 2009

No comments: