Sunday, September 21, 2008

Book - Owning the Olympics

Owning the Olympics: Narratives of the New China (The New Media World)… by Monroe Price
Owning the Olympics: Narratives of the New China Early on this book states that it is nothing about the athletics of the Olympics. This books focus is on the People's Republic of China and their desire to be host of the Olympics. This compilation talks about the different conflicts, overviews and comparisons made to other Olympic host cities. It talks about the plans and hopes that the Beijing Olympics will bring a better or Modern feel to China.

This is an interesting concept, unfortunately I did not enjoy much more than the Introduction of the book. I found the information to be tedious with details that I knew little about and cluttered with acronyms that I could not keep straight. Several times I felt that it was repeating the same information over again yet it still never really covered the topic fully. This book seems geared for someone who has studied Current Events, Chinese politics and a bit of World History. I suppose I was looking for something a bit lighter. I was interested in seeing how much this would change China, but I still don’t really understand the how or the why of some of the controversy about Beijing being the host city of the 2008 Olympics.
This was a Early Reviewer book through LibraryThing.

May 25, 2008

No comments: